Monday, April 03, 2006

Ears to Hear

Katie is now almost 20 weeks into her pregnancy (that's half way, I think). We went to our 19-20 week ultrasound last Friday to check to make sure that the baby is developing on schedule (two arms, five fingers, two ears, four chambers of the heart, one brain, etc.). Everything looked great.

And this weekend, we read in one of our pregnancy books that babies start being able to hear at about 19-20 weeks. For us, that means two things: (1) Katie needs to start watching her language (just kidding, Katie ;)) and (2) we can start reading to her. So last night, she was exposed to her first bits of literature (yes, we are fanatical first time parents; at least we aren't trying to use flash cards). We read her Wordsworth's poem Dafodills and then Curious George Goes to the Museum. I'm sure she liked them.

2 comments:

cblakes said...

You should consider playing good music for the baby, too. When our little Mary was about the same age I played Neil Diamond, The Beach Boys, Johnny Cash and Bread for her.

Katie said...

I will be watching my language more closely. I think next we can start to read from my "Nutrition Support in Clinical Practice" book to lull her off to sleep. Didn't the doctor say something about her having an abnormally large brain... Just kidding. But I'm sure all her smarts will come from her Dad.