Monday, November 06, 2006

Book Review: All Over but the Shoutin'

I just finished "All Over but the Shoutin,'" and it is the best memoir I have ever read (and I've read a few good ones: Life & Death in Shanghai, When I Was Puerto Rican). It is written by Rick Bragg, who is a Pulitzer Prize-winning New York Times journalist. He has had an amazing life. He grew very poor in a tiny little town in Alabama. His father was a Korean War vet, an alcoholic, and a terrible father. But he had an amazing mother. Most of the book is really about her.

Bragg is an amazing storyteller, and the book is really just a series of well-told stories. The book is very well-written (if a little over-punctuated). He tells stories about growing up poor in the South, about the Korean War, and about his mother. Then he tells stories about being a journalist and the stories he covered. He specializes in telling stories of sadness and heartbreak, and he shares many such stories through his memoir. He only had 6 months of formal college education at a tiny little community college near his home, but he was a talented storyteller, and that took him all the way to a Harvard Fellowship, to a job at the New York Times, and to a Pulizter. I would highly recommend this book. Its only about 200 pages long, its easy to read, and its quite worth the effort.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I'm putting it on my list!

Chris Blakesley 1 said...

I loved it, too. Put me back home in the humidity and woodpeckers.

and so it goes,