Thursday, November 30, 2006

Thanksgiving Ham

I like turkey, but I like ham better. So this year, I took matters into my own hands and made sure we had ham to go along with our turkey at Thanksgiving dinner. For about a year, I have been wanting to try a ham recipe with a secret ingredient: Dr. Pepper. That's right. I found a recipe for a spiral ham with a Dr. Pepper glaze (I'll provide the recipe at the end of this post, for all those eager to try it). So for Thanksgiving diner this year, I was in charge of preparing the ham, and I made it with the Dr. Pepper glaze. I thought it was quite good and would be interested in anyone else's honest opinion on it. It was really sweet, but I didn't think there was enough of it. You could really taste the glaze on the pieces of ham that were near the bottom of the pan that got soaked in the glaze while it cooked, but the rest of the ham tasted like normal ham. If I had to do it again, I would have doubled the glaze recipe and had half of it available (warmed) just to spoon onto your ham when you dish it onto your plate. Anyway, here's the recipe (thanks to the good people at Cooks Illustrated):

1/2 cup Dr. Pepper
3/4 cup light brown sugar
2 Tbs. fresh orange juice
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 spiral-sliced, bone-in ham (7-10 lbs.)

  1. Bring Dr. Pepper, sugar, orange juice, and mustard to boil in medium sacepan. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until mixture is syrupy and measures 3/4 cup, about 8 minutes.
  2. Remove ham from packaging and discard plastic disk that covers bone. Place ham in plastic oven bag, tie bag shut, and trim excess plastic. Set ham cut side down in 13 by 9-inch baking dish and cut 4 slits in top of bag. (If you don't have an oven bag, place ham cut side down in baking dish and wrap tightly with foil). Let stand at room temp. for 1 1/2 hrs.
  3. Adjust oven rack to lowest possible position and heat oven to 250 degrees. Bake ham until center registeres about 100 degrees on instant-read thermometer, 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours, depending on weight of ham.
  4. Remove ham from oven and roll back sides of bag to expose ham. Brush ham liberally wit glaze and return to oven briefly until glaze becomes sticky, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven, brush entire ham again with glaze, loosely cover with foil, and let rest for 30 to 40 minutes before carving.

7 comments:

cblakes said...

That sounds goood. Dr. Pepper Ham. If it tastes anything like beer-boiled brats count me in!

Spencer Davis said...

I thought it was super tasty, though I didn't pick up much Dr. Pepper in it. Like I already mentioned to you, it tasted even better the next day when I ate it on a sandwhich, so I think its pretty safe to say that your Dr. Pepper glaze ages like a fine wine.

I would have liked to of tasted more DP.

Ian said...

I agree. It could have used more DP. But the lack of DP taste may have come from the fact that most of the pieces of ham only got glazed around the skin. If you had some glaze that you could pour over the ham after you have dished it onto your plate, I think you could taste it more. But adding that much glaze would make it pretty sweet. So maybe you should add some more DP and add a little less brown sugar. We'll keep experimenting.

Katie said...

As someone who does not like Dr. Pepper and prefers turkey over ham, I thought this was a tasty combination. I thought it was the perfect amount of sweet because I don't love the usual honey baked ham. Excellent work.

Jayme said...

I'm going to try it!

You should know that Dr. Pepper sells a cookbook on its website. Juddy and I own it, along with official Dr. Pepper "Beer Warmers."

You should also know that, despite rumors stating otherwise, Dr. Pepper is not the secret ingredient in Cafe Rio's pork burrito.

Ian said...

Jayme, you'll have to let me know if you like it. What kind of recipes are there in the DP cookbook? Is it mostly sauces and marinades?

Anonymous said...

I've used this recipe before and loved it; although, my recipe calls for 32 whole cloves placed 1" apart and no bag, but required basting every 30 minutes. Your's sounds easier, I think I'll try the bag style recipe tmw for Christmas dinner :)