Friday, December 22, 2006

The Canadians Hoarked Our Idea, Eh

Cblakes and I did a lot of smooth things while we were down at BYU together, but one of the smoothest things we did was to make a romantic fire video. While languishing away in our little apartments during the long months of Provo's winter, we longed for the comfort of warm fire. We longed to curl up in front of a cozy fireplace with a book and a warm cup of cocoa. So we decided to do something about it. We made our own fireplace. With the help of either Mike or Judd (I can't remember which one of you was on a mission and which one was helping us at this time), we got a camcorder and recorded the gas fire at Jim and Jane's for about an hour or so. While we were recording the fire, we played smooth, romantic songs for background music. The finished result: a video of a warm, inviting fire that we could play on our apartment TV that played smooth love songs in the background. We were very proud of it. Tell me that idea and execution were not brilliant. What girl could resist such charms?

So what do I find out the other day from my cousin Whitney's (the Canadian) blog (http://whitneyjdavis.blogspot.com)? The Canadians have hoarked our idea. Not only do they have a cable station that just plays video of a fireplace with Christmas background music, but you can also buy DVDs that do the same thing! I'm not sure whether to be mad because the Canadians hoarked our idea or to admire them for their brilliance.

8 comments:

3703 said...

You should be mad. Ideas don't come as free as health care, and as an American you should be rewarded.

That was a brilliant idea and girls melt away in the presence of ingenuity. I guess Christopher and I need to work on that virtue. The rest of you found your cupcakes, but I am still looking. I am going to start by building a fire. Thanks Ian, your movie making is just bringing about our indian ways and applying them to the now.

whitney said...

First of all, I am laughing outloud that you did that, kudos to you.
Second, the fireplace channel goes way way back - I do believe I remember seeing it sometime in highschool or shortly after.
And third, being the care free Canadian that I am, I really don't care what you crazy Americans think! So if you want credit for it it's all yours.
Merry Christmas.

whitney said...

Oh, and one more thing... To the rumbler, I'm a Canadian and health care is free.

Ian said...

Maybe its because the Canadians are so care-free that they are always getting their good ideas stolen. I think the creators of Strange Brew (I assume they are Canadian) could have totally sued that Shakespeare guy for hoarking their plot and calling it Hamlet. What a rip off.

As a non-care-free, litigious American who is not regularly placated by free health care, I should send a letter to the fireplace channel demanding just compensation.

whitney said...

Maybe you should just act like a real American and take the whole capitalist route. Follow the American dream and make some money marketing a fireplace channel or DVD of your own.
(If you make a ton of money I will forget my Canadian ways and remember I was born in the USA and demand my fare share)

this and that...now and then said...

free health care my _ _ _! only if you live long enough to use it! Average wait time for a back disk opperation is 18 to 24 months. wait time for a simple MRI is 6 months. NICE. I'd take the american system any day! (but only if you have health insurance-otherwise you are hooped!)

Katie said...

Very charming Ian. I'm sure you melted many hearts with your "fire". I'm glad you were fine tuning your charm to get me :).

Excellent points from Whitney and Carol. I for one am grateful for American health care and insurance, especially after seeing our maternity stay bill!

cblakes said...

Ian, that was a very good video we put together. Many females were impressed - especially with the Top Gun song we put in there.

Carol's point on health care waits in Canada matches my experience in Toronto. I dislocated my jaw, and had to get X-rays. There were longer waits than I was used to in the states.