Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Mesa Falls Marathon


Yes, that's right. I have resolved to run a marathon. I have always wanted to run a marathon. I remember when I was quite young my Uncle Cory was training for a marathon (I believe; my memories of my childhood are far from perfect), and I thought it was really cool. Since then, I have always admired people who ran marathons. My resolve to run one strengthened at BYU when one of my roommates ran the St. George. We lived together over the summer, so we saw how hard he trained. After the race, he couldn't stop raving about what an awesome experience it was to finish the marathon. Ever since then, I really wanted to do one, and I added it to my list of 100 things to do before I die. I did a few minor biathalons (swimming and running) while at BYU, but I have never been able to fully gear up for a marathon. I have always had a good excuse: I refused to run in the winter (I still stand by this one), I was studying for the bar, I was too busy with work and school, I didn't have an iPod, etc. But circumstances have lined up this summer in a way that has melted away all of my previous excuses: I won't have to train in the winter to run a late summer marathon, I don't have school, I have a flexible job, and I have an iPod. I figure its now or never, so lets get it on.

I decided to run the Mesa Falls Marathon. It is a small marathon, but it is supposed to be an absolutely beautiful and well-organized race. It is a late August run that is mostly downhill. It starts on a Targhee National Forrest park road and works its way down towards Ashton, Idaho. Along the way, there are amazing views of Targhee, the Tetons, the Warm River, and Lower Mesa Falls on the Henry's Fork of the Snake River. Ashton is about 40 minutes from West Yellowstone, so I am planning on spending a few days before the race exploring the area. It will be a great time (aside from the excruciating pain often suffered by marathon runners).

I am excited to run it and am recruiting other participants (one of the interns from our court's chambers has already joined with me because he is from Ashton). There is strength in numbers, so you are all welcome to join in our training. There is also a half marathon for those of you who don't want to do the full marathon. And, of course, even if you don't want to run, you can come explore Yellowstone with us and then fish or sleep or something while we are running.

8 comments:

Katie said...

Way to go Ian! I am still contemplating joining you, we will see how it goes. You'll do great!

whitney said...

Grace told me she wants you guys to get a jogging stroller and she will join in. Is that even allowed in marathons?
Our town has a 10 kilometer race every year for the first of July festivities. The last time I ran in it was in high school, so I think I better start with trying to do that before I attempt a marathon. But I would be interested in what you are doing for your training and any helpful hints for when I head out jogging in spring. I hear ya with no jogging in the winter.
Good luck!

cblakes said...

sweet. sounds like a scenic place to run. About whitney's comment - I ran a 5k in Layton a while ago and I pushed mary in a stroller. The weird thing to me was that it seemed easier to run with the stroller. I'm totally serious.

Ian said...

We have a ghetto jogging stroller that we got at a garage sale and it works ok for now. Katie has taken Grace out in it, and she really likes it. We are looking into getting a nicer jogging stroller for my birthday, so I can take her on more of my training runs. I think it would be a little much to take her on the actual marathon. I think I will be lucky to finish it by myself.

whitney said...

It really is easier to run with the stroller, I totally agree.
I LOVE my jogging stroller. Make sure you get a good one. I have a friend who got one because of all the cool features it had and spent a TON of money on it, and it is a pain to actually jog with. When I got mine I looked at weight and wheel size. It has aluminum rims so it will hold up longer (and is lighter because of this). And it was under $150. I also know someone who got one with a swivel front wheel and it doesn't work well at all for jogging.

Anonymous said...

don't any of you have cars?

Katie said...

Whitney, what kind of jogging stroller do you have? We're researching them and appreciate your advice.

Cblakes, I like running with the stroller too. It keeps me paying attention and I think it might bring a little stability too.

Funny Darth Spencer.

3703 said...

I have a car. And when I am rich enough, I am going to pay people to run for me.