Tuesday, April 03, 2007

A Few Thoghts on Writing

One of my judge's favorite quotes on writing is by Elmore Leonard: "I try to leave out the parts that people skip." Its a great quote, and its great advise. I have the good fortune to spend a good portion of every day writing. I write memoranda recommending dispositions on the various cases we hear at the court, and I write drafts of opinions that we publish announcing the results of the case and explaining the law supporting those results. I feel like I have progressed as a writer in my time here at the court.

My judge is an exceptional writer, and I have learned a lot of good things about writing from him. I have learned to leave out the parts that people skip (overwrought "roadmaps"); I have learned not to start a sentence with "however" because it sounds too ponderous; I have learned not to let writing get too easy (in legal writing, there are lots of terms that are so overused that they are almost cliches, like the word "progeny"); and I have learned that it is worth your time to incorporate metaphors and tropes into your writing.

Metaphor and trope is my judge's specialty. He spends a lot of time editing our draft opinions and adding what he calls his "rhetorical flourishes." Here is an excellent example: "Arguments based on symmetry have a superficial appeal because they appear to be linked to equal treatment and thus to fundamental fairness. But more often than not, symmetry is quickly exposed as a false prophet of fairness. This is one such case." State v. Robison, 147 P.3d 448.

Here's to good writing and to all of us continuing our blogging (or starting to blog) as a continued outlet to sharpen our writing skills.

8 comments:

3703 said...

Great post, I like hearing insights from your work.

I think "Progeny" is underused outside of the legal world. As I was reading your blog I realised that I barely use it at all, and will probably incorporate it into weekly usage. To use a metaphor, it is almost father-like that I hope my writing can go forth and prosper; like a rabbit.

Spencer Davis said...

Writing is good.

tjcool18 said...

I'm glad to see that Spencer read this blog entry. Hear's to no more 5 page blog entries from Spencer!

Katie said...

Great insights Ian. You are an excellent writer. Could I please have a quick definition/example of "trope"? You might have explained it to me before...

Darth Spencer, continue to blog as you wish.

Spencer Davis said...

"Hello everyone, my name is TJ. I spend so much time doing cool things like studying up on my 7 Habits for Healthy People, watching old rugby highlight video's, and polishing my 3 high school football state championship rings that I dont have time read Darth Spencer's increadible and awesome posts about science fiction."

Ian said...

I agree. I said good writers leave out parts that other people skip (like boring introductions or lengthy asides), not cool details about the history of the Sith.

tjcool18 said...

Spencer,

Don't forget my time spent going through my yearbooks reminiscing about the good old days.

Anonymous said...

How 'bout a few thoughts on spelling, Ian.