Monday, April 09, 2007

I May Have Missed My Calling in Life

Last Wednesday, Katie and I went to the bakery at Welfare Square to fill a welfare assignment. The bread had already been made earlier that morning by the employees and service missionaries, and it was up to us to slice and bag the bread. I manned the industrial slicing machine. A service missionary fed the bread loaves into the machine, and I worked the pedal that sliced the loaves. After being sliced, the loaf would fall down to me, and I would slide the bread into a bag that was being filled with air by a fan. I would then hand the bagged loaf of bread to Katie, who would make sure I hadn't punctured the bag and then put a twistie-tie on the bag. Slice, bag, pass to Katie, slice, bag, pass to Katie . . . . It was a delicate waltz, and I was Strauss.

I had to leave a little early to get to work, and as I was leaving, another volunteer approached me. He said that he had volunteered at the bakery for years and had never seen someone work the slicer machine so expertly. I may have missed my calling as an industrial machinist.

6 comments:

Jayme said...

Ian:

Too funny. I have canned pears, bottled spaghetti sauce, and made chicken soup, but I've never made bread.

The Washington, D.C. cannery is run by a man named Brother Little. He is 6'8" tall and 300+ lbs.

After my last visit I smelled like chicken soup for a week!!

Ian said...

That's cool that they have church welfare centers in D.C., too. We probably don't sign up for welfare assignments enough, but every time we do, we end up loving it. I have only done the bakery and the pasta plant (where you package and box pasta). I still haven't been to the cannery.

Spencer Davis said...

I'm glad that you enjoyed your experience as one of the masses. While you were there, did you have a chance to meet the local union leader, witness anyone lose a finger, or have a desire to strike?

The church has two farms (that I know of) down here in Washington County. A small one in Santa Clara, and a very large one in Hurricane. I went to the farm in Hurricane to help get the peach trees ready for this years crop. I did a little "dodging." Dodging is when you rip out the weeds and growth from around the base of the tree. I think it has something to do with protecting the tree from pestisides or something.

"You down wiht DDT? Yeah you know me"

whitney said...

I don't like canning. It is really smelly. Try doing the dry pack stuff sometime. It is pretty easy and they actually have some not bad tasting stuff to add to your own food storage (we cooked it up and tried it in relief society one time)

And Spencer, you city person, you went to an orchard and pulled weeds. Drive a tractor or bale some hay and then you can tell me you went to a farm.
We have a church ranch around here out by my grandpas old farm. I think my dad worked there for some extra money in his college days.

Spencer Davis said...

whitney, you country person, very funny.

i'm sitting here trying to think of ways to come up with a clever come back for your rude comments, but then I realized that it probably isn't even worth the time. You'll understand that by the time you wrangle up the horses and strap them up to the buggy and get ready to make the large treck into the big city so that you can find an internet cafe and reply to my comment, Ian will have probably made another post, and you wouldn't even notice my whitty come back.

So I'm not going to say anything. I'll just sit back and enjoy the blesings that I recieved for serving on our little orchard.

Anonymous said...

Hi There I'd like to congratulate you for such a terrific made forum!
thought this is a nice way to introduce myself!

Sincerely,
Hilary Driscoll
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/pokemon-party-supplies.html]pokemon Party Supplies[/url].