Friday, May 25, 2007

The Best Pizza in Salt Lake?


Thanks to the small business financing power of Keler and Mountain West Small Business Finance, we have a great new pizza shop here in Salt Lake. Word is starting to spread, and word on the street is that it is the best pizza in the city. Better than The Pie, better than Pizza Factory, better than Little Caesars. I had to try it out myself, and, as Katie is a pizza lover as well, we decided to go there for our anneversary. Its called Settebello, and it specializes in authentic Italian pizza. This review by the Salt Lake Tribune's food critic probably says it best. This is real Italian pizza. They cook the pizzas in a wood fire pizza oven that was made in Naples and cooks the pizzas in a minute or two because temperatures hover around 900 degrees. The flour used to make the pizza dough is imported from a famous Italian mill, and many of the ingredients are also imported from Italy and Europe. The dough is covered in crushed tomatoes and olive oil (not tomato sauce) and large chunks of motzarella. Don't come expecting lots of sauce and processed cheese covering every inch of the crust. If you're importing special pizza flour to make the dough, you want people to be able to taste it. I loved my Settebello pizza. It was full of flavor and quality ingredients. Katie doesn't like this kind of pizza as much and would stick with Pizza Factory. My biggest qualm with the restaurant: there's no desert menu.

So, is this the best pizza in Salt Lake? I would say that it is. But I will have to qualify that and say that if you don't like a more authentic Italian style of pizza, then you won't think this is the best. Juddy and I (and whoever else wants to come) are going to try it again on Saturday before the Jazz game, and then he will be able to lend his discerning palatte to the question of whether this is the best pizza Salt Lake has to offer. Stay tuned.

10 comments:

Spencer Davis said...

I am excited to try this place out. We walked in here before the Jazz game so that Ian could buy some gift certificates and it smelled really good. I'm excited for that wood smoked taste.

I'm also waiting to hear what MR. Rumble has to say about said Pizza Parlor. He knows more about pizza than most and is sure to give an acurate review.

Kyle said...

No mention of Litza's as possible best pizza place? That is the one SLC restaurant that I find myself craving more than any other.

Katie said...

I thought the pizza there was okay. I'm afraid I'm more of a fan on "Americanized" pizza. I think my favorite is still Brick Oven.

Ian said...

Unfortunately, Mr. Rumble and I were unable to make our trip to the pizza shop, so he won't be able to add his expertise to the review. We'll have to try again the next time he's in town.

cblakes said...

that place sounds good. I'll have to go there for sure next time in in slc

Jessica said...

Settebello is the best! Thanks for the fun bbq the other night. It was great to catch up. And, I was right, you and Matt have much in common when it comes to food. Settebello is just one of the many places that you could bond with. Next time, it's our turn to host!

Ian said...

Jessica, I'm glad you and Matt are Settebello fans. Its great stuff. We were glad you guys could make it over the other night. We had a lot of fun. We'll have to do it again soon.

Anonymous said...

musingian.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.

Anonymous said...

Web design
very useful, thanx a lot for this article ....... This was exactly what I was looknig for.

Unknown said...

Your review makes me want to travel there and visit that pizzeria. It is one of my aspirations to travel around America to taste the most delicious food from every state, starting from my home in Florida. Dining in an authentic Italian restaurant is one of my favorite thing to do, since I was grown up eating and appreciating Italian cuisine.