Wednesday, July 18, 2007

First Fruits





We planted a little vegetable garden this year, and it has really done well. I didn't expect much because I just dug up some irises that were being overgrown by grass to make the garden. I thought it would take a while to bring the soil along. I just worked in a few bags of fertilizer at the beginning of the year and have been watering with miracle grow regularly, and the vegetables have really taken off. The tomatoes are going crazy, and the zucchini is huge. The pepper plants are still a little small, but they're starting to bear fruit. We picked the first ripe cherry tomatoes yesterday, and they taste great. Can't wait to eat all the fresh summer vegetables picked fresh from our garden.

5 comments:

Katie @SwimBikeQuilt said...

I. AM. WAY. JEALOUS. Looks awesome! Way to go.

Matt said...

I always knew you had a green thumb.

Spencer Davis said...

oh, my name is musing ian and i'm an amazing gardner.

Ian said...

Actually, we found out the the first owners of the home (who lived here for over 50 years) had a huge garden that filled up most of the back yard. Someone after them just planted sod over the whole yard, but I'm sure the soil under there is still really good from all the work of the original owners. So I can't take much credit for the good growth, but I will enjoy the veggies.

Katie said...

I will and am enjoying the veggies too. The zuchinni was amazing. I am very grateful for a husband with a green thumb.

I'm embarrassed to say my only contribution to the garden is eating the "fruits" (or vegetables) of Ian's labor.