Monday, March 19, 2007

Basketball Weekend

It was a pretty good weekend of basketball. Here were the highlights for me:

Best game: Texas A&M v. Louisville. This was a real heavyweight battle that felt more like a elite eight or final four game than a second round matchup. Both of these teams were really good, and the entire game was closely contested with each team making one big, clutch play after another. Even with fifteen minutes left in the game, it felt like every shot/play was huge.

Best moment: When the little point guard from VCU, who had been getting into it a little bit with Duke's annoying point guard Greg Paulus, took over in the final few minutes and lead VCU to victory. After he hit the game-winning shot over Paulus with one second left, he just stared Paulus down. It was great seeing the Dukies go down hard.

Most disappointing game: BYU v. Xavier. BYU blew it. BYU had its best team in years, and it had several solid leads throughout the game. But it gave the game away. See Jayme's post.

My bracket: this is one of the best brackets I've had in years, probably because of the real dearth of major upsets. For the first time that I can remember, the two teams that I picked to be in the championship game are still alive, although I'm starting to second-guess my Texas A&M pick (they are playing great ball, and I really like their team, but I think they have the hardest road to the final four than anyone).

4 comments:

Spencer Davis said...

I am also having a great tourney. Allison's friend Casey was asked to participate in a bracket pool at his work. Not wishing to look stupid, because of his lack of knowlege about basketball, he asked me to fill out he bracket for him and offered me all the winnings, if any.

We are currently in first place. I picked 14 of the 16 teams that are in the Sweet 16. This has been a great tourney.

Ian said...

That's funny about Casey. But that probably put him in a little bit of a bind. Now that he's doing so well, a bunch of people are probably coming to talk to him about his brackets, which was probably what he was trying to avoid.

Lindsay said...

I was right there with you with Texas A&M, not that I know anything about the team, its just who I picked as one of my final 4 teams and they flippin lost last night. I actually watched the game (only because Dad was watching it) but hopefully my bracket does well. But I do know I am tied with Keler right now, just for the record.

Anonymous said...

What do you mean BYU blew it??? X made my day!! This was the best game of the tourney!

Watch out for the Aggies in 07-08!