Monday, March 12, 2007

Helping Hippies

Sorry to post about another Utah Supreme Court opinion, but I'm pretty proud of this one. We worked pretty hard on it. It provides protection for pot smokers everywhere. You should all be proud. Its a pretty accessible opinion, so even you non-lawyer types would probably enjoy reading it. But if you don't want to wade through the opinion, here's a link to an article on the opinion from the Salt Lake Tribune.

Staying on the topic of helping hippies, I went to a pretty interesting place for lunch today. Its called One World, and its like stepping into Haight-Ashbury circa mid-1960s. The restaurant is based on two core philosophies: everybody eats and eliminate waste. There are no set prices for the food; you pay what you feel the food is worth, based on what and how much you eat. If you can't afford to pay what you feel the food is worth, then you can work for them for an hour to pay for your meal. Also, they have some rice and beans up front that is always free for whoever wants to eat it.

To eliminate waste, they don't have any serving sizes. You ask for as much as you think you will eat, and they ask that you eat it. You can always come back for more if you want more. And when you clear your dishes, you clear the food that you haven't eaten into a compost bin.

The atmosphere is also very unique. The employees--all first or second generation hippies--are extremely nice and helpful. There is a selection of soups, salads, and vegetables with ample vegan and vegetarian samplings (if there was meat on the premises, I couldn't find it). The dishes and silverware are all of the mix-matched, thrift store variety. The decor is equally eclectic and likely taken from various thrift stores. Instead of one large eating area, there are several separate rooms with comfortable seating arrangements.

The philosophy behind the place is actually really cool. I had some black bean soup. It had black beans and some other organic-looking things floating around in there. They kind of looked like the mosquito larvae that would sometimes end up in your water cup in Argentina. It was pretty bland. They should have found some organic peppers to spice it up a little. I also had a mixed green salad, and a carrot salad with some organic yeast something-or-other. It was ok. If the food weren't so bland and meatless, I would probably go there more often.

7 comments:

Spencer Davis said...

That place you went to eat reminds me of a psychology class I took at UVSC where the professor let us pick our own grade at the end of the semester. We were supposed to base our grade off of the work that we had done that semester. I got an A.

Did the workers at the restaurant have a dress code or was it just their regular hippi wear? I'm sure it was lots of tevas, kakhi/nylon shorts, and t-shirts with pictures of fly fishing or mountains on them.

Also, did they have on name tags, and if so, did they have real names like Anna or Stan or did they have their hippi names like Moon Beam or Wild Flower?

Katie said...

It sounds like quite an experience. I think it's neat they will let anyone eat and work for their food if they don't have the money.

Requesting your own portion size is a great idea! Restaurant portion sizes are often way too large and not "normal" sized portions. I think this would be a good idea for other restaurants to do as well.

cblakes said...

the restaurant makes me think of a few hippies Mike and I worked with while doing landscape work in Salt Lake. I bet Kenny and Jesse have eaten there.

Did the restaurant have scones on the menu? Those guys always wanted scones...

And, what was the music like (if any) in the restaurant? I hope it was bongo drums...I'm sure the Liberty Park-hippie drum circle regulars would appreciate that.

Ian said...

There didn't appear to be a dress code, unless you call tye-dye, flip-flops, tattoes, and body piercings a dress code. But they were all really nice and friendly.

Unfortunately, they didn't have any scones. I could have used a scone. Eating a vegan lunch was a shock to my system. A few hours after lunch, I was dying of hunger and craving meat products. Katie had me stop by the grocery store on the way home from work, which turned out to be a bad idea because I had to exercise all the self-control I had to not buy everything that looked good, including a couple of juicy new york steaks (although I did buy some juicy pork chops, some hot dogs, and a nice pot roast that was on sale).

3703 said...

This hippicafe is quite interesting. It has me thinking as to what I actually think. So you pay what you think the food is worth? Do you pay before or after? I am attempting to wrap my mind around the idea of paying what you think the food is worth. But it is not a fair system. For example, for me, I value food more than I value money. Then there are skinny people who don't even like food, so when asked to pay what they think, they are not going to pay very much. It's all relative, and not fair and frankly, for me to go eat there would just implode my universe. Also, I wouldn't pay to eat rice or beans, so I agree with them, that should be given away for free.

They really should serve meat though. Anyone who knows anything about being a hippie knows that you are either a "hunter" or a "harvester". I'm a harvester, but I support those who are meant to be hunters.

I think marijuana and hemp should only be used for healing. I hope you and your "court" feel the same way.

Jayme said...

They should have you pay what you think it is worth AFTER you have eaten it. I have paid $10 for a meal, only to find that it was bland, cold or otherwise unappetizing.

How much did you pay for your black beans and rice??

Ian said...

We paid after we ate, but it is so laid back that you could probably pay whenever you felt like it. Justice Nehring paid for us, so I don't know how much he paid for for my tasteless black bean soup. Generally, I think most people end up paying more than their food is worth just because they like the philosophy behind the whole place. Also, I think their concept of 'pay what you think its worth' is based more on cost to them than it is quality of taste to you. You don't pay more if you really like what you ate. They just ask you to consider that the food is all organic, which is more expensive than non-organic food. But I think that the cost of buying organic food is probably offset by the fact that they get people coming off the street to work in their restaurant and they only pay them with their crappy food.