Wednesday, March 15, 2006

March Madness, Baby

Its March Madness--one of my favorite times of the year. And, fortunately, this week is my spring break. I've been working a ton early on in the week, so that I can spend as much time as possible watching games. I just finished my bracket while watching the finale of Beauty & the Geek 2. I'm sure you don't want to see my whole bracket, so I'll just include a few highlights:

Final Four Picks:
  1. Texas -- I wanted to pick West Virginia, but I don't think they can sneak up on people anymore;
  2. Gonzaga -- I know they're prone to choke, and I almost picked Kansas, but I think Adam Morrison and his handsome mustache will be clutch;
  3. UConn -- Can anyone beat them? Maybe Villanova;
  4. Villanova -- I really hope that guy's eye is ok. I'm sure that, even with a bad eye, they can get to the sweet sixteen, but the eye's going to have to be good for them to make it to the Final Four.
Upset Specials:
  • Northwestern State over Iowa -- These guys played at Utah State for the Bracket Buster and gave Utah State all they could handle (which is very hard to do in the Spectrum)
  • Utah State over Washington -- With Washington's small lineup, Nate Harris and Cass Matheus should do very well, and if J.C. Carroll's shot isn't bothered too much by Washington's athleticism (a big if), the Aggies should win
  • Winthrop over Tennessee -- There's no way Tennessee is a 2 seed; they had an ok year in a bad SEC. And Winthrop has been tough in the tournament before
  • UW-Wisconsin over Oklahoma -- They did it last year and should be able to beat a talented but inconsistent Oklahoma team
My favorite teams in the tournament: West Virginia, Gonzaga, Utah State

Let the games begin.

1 comment:

cblakes said...

"UConn -- Can anyone beat them? Maybe Villanova"

Holy cow -- who would have thought maybe Albany could beat them?
I just hope UConn keeps it together from now on...