Saturday, March 18, 2006

Raptor Red

I recently became possessed of an exceptional piece of literature--Raptor Red. It is a work of fiction by a paleontologist (most notable for his discover of the very large Utahraptor) who consulted Spielberg et. al. during the filming of Jurassic Park.

Allow me to quote from the back cover: "'A pair of fierce but beautiful eyes look out from the undergrowth of conifers. She is an intelligent killer . . . .' So begins one of the most extraordinary novels you will ever read. The time is 120 million years ago, the place is the plains of prehistoric Utah, and the eyes belong to an unforgettable heroine. Her name is Raptor Red, and she is a female raptor dinosaur." As People magazine aptly said, "Michael Crichton may be a great storyteller, but he even wouldn't have the nerve to write a dinosaur novel told from the dino's point of view."

I was a little skeptical at first--I wasn't sure how good a book told from the perspective of a female velociraptor could be--but it got great reviews on Amazon. I think this just might be the best little known work or science fiction since The Accelerators (written by Jenny Carter of MWSBF's brother and which also received rave reviews on Amazon).

I will keep you updated, and you can all borrow it after I am done.

1 comment:

Ian said...

yes, and I'll do you one better--its a tragic romance! I was kind and let Cblakes take it on his trip for reading material. Hopefully, he will give a good report when he returns.