Monday, March 06, 2006

Meeting Baby Owen

I met my first nephew this weekend--baby Owen. He is very cute and very good. He slept most of the time and hardly ever cried (although I can't vouch for how much he sleeps or cries at night). Just about our whole family went down to St. George this weekend, and we all had a lot of fun.

It was especially fun knowing that I would soon be a parent as well. It made me notice a few things about babies that I hadn't before. For example, from the moment they are born, they dictate everything (I had been told this before, but knowing that it was coming at me fast made it more of a reality). Your whole schedule and everything you do revolves around that little babe. I have, therefore, created a list of (selfish) things that I want to do before we have a little dictator of our own.
  1. Get home from work/school and decide, on a whim, to go out to dinner
  2. Go on lots of walks with Katie
  3. Spend lots of time outside the house
  4. On a whim, go on a weekend getaway to the country (which will probably be the cabin at Alta)
  5. Enjoy being able to go somewhere with only having to dress myself
  6. Enjoy being able to do what I want when I want.
You will notice that most of these have to do with being a little spontaneous. I am never spontaneous. Sometimes, at 10:00 at night, Katie will try to get me to be spontaneous and go out for some ice cream, and I always say that I am not a spontaneous person and that I want to go to bed. But I know that as soon as the option to be spontaneous is gone, I will miss it, even though I rarely, if ever, take advantage of it. Anyway, in the next few months, I am going to try to be spontaneous at least three or four times. That indulgence should last me a few years.

Finally, I'm sorry I don't have a picture of me being a doting uncle. Our camera was temporarily displaced, so we couldn't bring it down to St. George. The good news is that we found the camera this morning.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I'd forgotten about trying to get you out for ice cream. I think it's been a few years. I would like to add my pledge to participate in random acts of spontaneity. I would love you to join me on more walks. I also propose we participate in spontaneity with CBlakes, Emily and Mary as well. Owen is darling!

Ian said...

The spontenaety, then, will begin--but not until next week because this week is really busy.